We all love a good massage, but have you done a scalp massage? There are so many benefits of a scalp massage and we are here to tell you them all! Because, who doesn’t want a healthy scalp and thick gorgeous hair?! A Scalp Massage is perfect treat to do yourself or to go out and pay for one.
- It’s relaxing so it calms and boost your mood - it helps relax you as it boosts your serotonin production. It is also a natural remedy for migraines and headaches.
- Promotes hair growth - there is a study that shows that regular scalp massages were confirmed to result in the growth of thicker hair. Participants massaged their scalps for about four minutes per day over a 24-week period, resulting in the growth of visibly thicker, stronger hair.
- Reduces muscle tension - like any massage you have had, it relaxes you and your body as well as helping to improve your nervous system.
- Reduces Buildup of Product and Dead Skin - with the added use of a scalp massaging tool, you can help with reducing of buildup and dandruff as it helps moves the product around.
How to massage your scalp:
A normal scalp massage
- A normal scalp massage involves the use of your fingertips.
- Use the fingertips of both hands to apply medium pressure to your scalp, moving in small circles.
- Work your way across your scalp covering all areas.
- Try to massage your scalp using your fingertips for at least 4 minute, twice a day.
- You can also get scalp/ head massaging tools.
Massage while washing hair
- If you’re in a rush, you can use the scalp massage method outlined above while you’re washing your hair.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage your conditioner into your hair for 4 minutes. Then rinse your hair as usual.
Brushes and massage tools
- There are also special tools you can buy for a scalp massage.
- Scalp massaging tools come in the form of handheld massagers. You can work these all over your scalp in the same way that you’d use your fingers.
Using oil in your scalp massages:
You can also use oil to help promote hair growth as well when doing a scalp massage.
- We would recommend researching what oil would be perfect for your hair type as it can all vary.
- Use your fingers to warm up the oil by rubbing them together.
- Then using the pads of your fingers, work the oil into your scalp using circular motions.
- If you want you can apply the oil little by little to different parts of your scalp, parting your hair as needed
- Cover your entire scalp, all the way down the sides to your ears and at the back to your neck
- Leave the oil on for at least 30-60 minutes, the longer the better.
- After your massage, cover you hair in a towel.
- You can even leave the oil on overnight—place a thick towel over your pillow to protect your bed linen
- Finally, wash the oil out with your shampoo