Yoga for most of us is a hit or miss kind of exercise. Although, it shouldn't be overlooked as it has a vast majority of benefits and is a great workout whether you are a beginner or an athlete. Yoga has a way of grounding people both physically and mentally, so let’s have a look at the benefits.
You might know some of these physical benefits of yoga such as:
● Increased flexibility - no matter what your starting point with flexibility is, doing yoga is going to gradually loosen you up. So those positions you thought were impossible will become possible.
○ Try Downward Facing Dog or Garland Pose
● Increased muscle strength and tone - because you are using your body weight in yoga, this means the slow movements will warm up your muscles and holding the poses will build up strength.
○ Try Warrior Pose or Crow Pose
● Improved respiration and energy - People who do yoga regularly tend to take fewer breaths of greater volume, which is both calming and more efficient.
○ Try Cobra Pose or Sitting Half Spinal Twist
● Helps with reducing stress - this is because yoga is all about meditation, breathing and being in the moment.
○ Try Corpse Pose or Child Pose
● Cardio and circulatory health - relaxation exercises you learn in yoga can help your circulation, especially in your hands and feet. Yoga also improves heart health by increasing circulation and blood flow through breathing. Yoga practice lowers the resting heart rate, increases endurance, and can improve your maximum uptake of oxygen during exercise.
● Protection from injury - this is because you are constantly stretching your muscles and body, therefore, improving your mobility helps reduce the likelihood of injury.
● Perfects your posture - as you strengthen your spine, the muscles up your back get stronger making it easier to hold your head straight up. Also, most of us are slouched over a computer for most of the week, yoga helps lessen the tension that we create in our necks.
● Helps with sleeping - yoga helps release the pressure of everyday life, releasing the tension we have been keeping a hold on throughout the day. Yoga before bed helps put you in the right mindset and helps keep you asleep.